Well it is finally March 29th 2015 and what an amazing 9 months it has been. Though it is rare to deliver a baby on its actual due date, I am ready to meet the little monkey and will be totally fine if today is the day :)
When I discovered that I was pregnant I was overjoyed, but the stylist in me wondered how I would dress my continuously growing body? Was I doomed to be a hyprocrite and end up wearing lululemons every day? To my surprise it was actually easier than I thought, and I found that I could still wear a lot of my pre-pregnancy clothing. Whew, such a relief! Anyways, along with some new maternity basics and pieces from my existing wardrobe I was able to feel COMFORTABLE and STYLISH for my entire pregnancy.
So while I still have some sanity and extra time, I thought now would be the perfect opportunity to summarize and share my "Stylebump" tips!
Style Bump Essentials
1. Maternity tank tops - They don't ride up and they will be a staple for most of your pregnancy. Buy at least 2 white ones because you will definitely end up staining the front of at least one. SHOP - Old Navy
2. Maternity boyfriend or skinny jeans - it was surprising how stretchy and comfortable these were! The belly band (intended to go over your existing pants) didn't work for me. I also appreciated the stretchy panel of fabric much more than low cut maternity jeans for the last 6mths. SHOP - Thyme Maternity
3. Maternity leggings - Though at the end these didn't entirely fit over my bump, they were a great staple to wear with dresses and tunics during the winter. Buy in a solid or light pattern in a dark colour. SHOP - Old Navy
4. Flat boots and supportive ballet flats/sandals - Though you may be able to wear most of your current shoes in the beginning, you might encounter swelling during your middle to last trimester (especially towards the end of the day if you are on your feet alot). My cropped flat boots became a staple when my riding boots became too tight due to my sexy swollen legs. Also for the last couple months, my Mephisto sandals (though not as trendy as I would like) were a supportive and comfortable slip-on option to wear with casual dresses. My best advice is to avoid flip flops and any footwear that lacks support. SHOP - Steve Madden boots, Mephisto Thong Sandals
5. Fitted cotton dresses or shirts with a light pattern - These are a pregnancy basic. You can layer them under anything - sweaters, jackets and even vests. Also choosing a pattern over a solid can be more forgiving when trying to minimize volume. Opt for a subtle pattern that is close in tone (ex. try grey/black rather than white/black) and you be surprised how much slimmer you can look! SHOP - Muse Clothing, Papillon Dresses, Leka Clothing, H&M, Joe Fresh
6. Wrap Jacket - This will be great during and after pregnancy! It will grow with your belly AND still define your waist. SHOP - Plenty, The Bay, Old Navy
7. A great bra with minimal underwire - This will be a must when your rib cage starts expanding! You can even wear existing bras and just buy an extender for the back :) SHOP - Thyme Maternity, Victoria Classic Lingerie, Sheer Essentials
8. Structured suit jacket/bomber jacket/jean jacket - Any of these will help define your waist (or lack there of), and create a paneling effect that will minimize width. SHOP - H&M
9. Pendant necklaces, scarves or V-necks - These will help elongate your neck and draw attention to your face. A colourful scarf can transform any outfit and help frame your beautiful face. SHOP - Stella & Dot
10. A fabulous lipstick - A little colour on your lips might be all that you need to give yourself a boost and distract from your tired eyes. Go for a punchy pink, peach or red - just a dab will do ya! SHOP - Stila Stay All Day Lip Colour
I hope you enjoyed my pregnancy style tips and congratulations to all of the beautiful pregnant women out there!! REMEMBER loose shapeless clothing won't do you any fashion favors, so above all, embrace your beautiful body and don't be afraid to show off those lovely curves!
Have a be.you.tiful day!!